Raspberry Pi?

Home Private: Forum Control Options Raspberry Pi?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Is Raspberry Pi not a suitable control option? If not, why not?

Anonymous

Also, it appears that email addresses are exposed as usernames on this forum …

ohararp
    Keymaster

Right now the Raspberry Pi cannot directly control these leds. An inline controller like the Arduino could be used to interface and control the leds. The Beaglebone Black would be a similar platform that does have the capability to drive the leds directly in a linux development environment.

PS I am working the username issue. Right now wordpress is using the email at registration as your username. I am going to try and get this fixed asap!

Anonymous

Glad to hear you’re working on the forum issue!

Can you explain why the Pi isn’t a platform that can be used to control the boards? Is it a case of it isn’t ready right now, or is it a problem that can’t be fixed?

ohararp
    Keymaster

The short answer is that the Raspberry Pi is simply not capable of producing the timing required to control these leds.

This is from the Adafruit product page http://www.adafruit.com/products/1460

“The protocol used is very very timing-specific and can only be controlled by microcontrollers with highly repeatable 100nS timing precision. We have example code for using with the Arduino Uno/Mega microcontroller at 8MHz and 16MHz, but it will not work with the Raspberry Pi, Basic Stamp, NETduino, any other interpreted/virtual machine microprocessor or any processor slower than 8 MHz.”

Anonymous

OK, good to know that it’s not just a library thing, so I can go ahead and get a BBB, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.