What is the value and purpose of the capacitors on RGB-123's?

Home Private: Forum Control Options Arduino What is the value and purpose of the capacitors on RGB-123's?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I got some of the RGB-123’s from kickstarter and I’ve been controlling them with the Espruino (also from KS, of course), and I’ve been having a great time with them.

I like them so much, that I decided I need to get some WS2812B’s and wire them up… (I want to put them on my ceiling in an irregular pattern, with pingpong ball halves on top of each one as a diffuser). I notice that the RGB-123’s have a capacitor next to each LED, but because of the silk-screening, I can’t make out how it’s wired up.

What is the purpose of this capacitor, how is it wired, and what size capacitor is it?

Thanks

exeng
    Participant

Most likely a bypass capacitor (0.1uF) between power and ground.

Anonymous

Aaah, yeah, I’ve figured out that there needs to be a capacitor between ground and +5v on each WS2812B, otherwise they reset themselves.

0.1uF, though? That seems crazy – the 0.1uF caps I have are several times the size of the LEDs, and far larger than the ones on the RGB-123 matrix. Either the capacitors have a lower value, or the caps I have are obsolete. Can anyone confirm what value of capacitors I should use for making my own WS2812B lights?

As you might expect, the WS2812B datasheet doesn’t give any guidelines for sizing the capacitor.

Anonymous

Okay, yeah. 0.1uf is what is recommended (I didn’t know that 104=0.1uf), and apparently technology has advanced since the capacitors in my capacitor bins were made, and small 0.1uf caps are now readily available for dirt cheap prices.

In conclusion, I am an idiot. This thread can be deleted.

Thanks

exeng
    Participant

You are not an idiot. And why delete the thread? It may be useful to someone else that has the same question.

Anonymous

33 year-old Facilities Manager Duane Tulley from Camrose, has several pursuits that include weather forecasting, my little pony coloring pages and poole pottery. Will shortly embark on a contiki tour that will include touring the Sacred City of Caral-Supe. my little pony coloring pages for preschool.

Anonymous

<p>Allow us make a study on the preschool coloring sheets which may greatly verify aiding in learning for the preschool as well as KG age kids. Every coloring sheet theme or group could reveal color things and connect to understanding based subjects, tasks, arts as well as crafts.</p>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.